Saturday, July 12, 2008

SUMMER FRUIT GINA K SKETCH CHALLENGE

Who doesn't like a challenge? Better yet, who doesn't like a challenge with a *prize*!

Well, as you may or may not know, I love the card challenges on SCS, as well as those issued by various other stamp companies (especially when it includes a *free* anything). I know, I know... I come by it naturally - both of my parents are bargin-shopping, coupon-toting, dumpster-diving, flea market-goin', gotta get it for free or cheap or dang near close kinda shoppers. I love that about them, and find that I am cut from the same mold. (Explains my Target $1 spot obsession - sssshh, don't tell DH).

Anyway, Gina K has a sketch challenge going on her BLOG. So, if you have some Gina K stamps, come on and play along! It is always fun to see what other folks come up with using the same sketch, I am amazed at the talent of others and their ability to see "it" from a different point of view. (Which is why I am so glad when God had the idea of giving us the Bible, he used Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to write about the same events - called the Gospel or the Epistles. They all have an amazing point of view, given their occupations and backgrounds.

I digress... here is my entry for the challenge.
Additional Info
Stamps: Friendship Blooms by Gina K
Paper: whisper white, garden green, basic black, non SU! dp
Ink: stazon
Accessories: SU! markers, ribbon, brads, cuttlebug
Techniques: paper tole


Now, my Mom and Dad came up to get the kids and took them for a week - yes, you read write, a whole, entire week - acutally more like 8 days, but who is counting (arm waving) - that would be me, yep, I'm counting them! I have a lot on my "To Do" list... I have a class on Mon night to prepare for, and an "Open House" to start making stuff for, get a project ready for a Saturday shoe box swap, figure out what to do for a workshop in 2 weeks, and clean out ALL closets, go through the kids clothes and toys and cull as much as possible, and this week DH and I celebrate our 16 year anniversary - woo hoo!!! When I go to pick up the dear children, we will be heading over to the Eastern Shore for a couple of days with kids and my parents. My horse lover, Allison, is so excited that we will be staying in Chincoteague. Not to mention we will be only an hour away from Salisbury so we will get to shop at The Country House - looooooooooooove that place! Can't wait to go there! Can't wait to eat some fresh seafood! Can't wait to fix my Dad a big ol' heaping bowl of my gar-licky shrimp and pasta alfredo dish that he drools over! Can't wait to hear the ocean and feel the sand between my toes! Can't wait to feel the ocean breeze! Can't wait to see those ponies! Can't wait!

If you are interested.. here is the recipe for the Shrimp Yum-Yum (as my kids call it) that comes out of Southern Living's Easy Weeknight Favorites Cookbook, p.15

Herbed Shrimp & Pasta (real title)
8 oz dried angle hair pasta, uncooked
1 c oleo (what we call butter, and NOT margerine *spew*)
1.5 lbs peeled, medium-sized *fresh* shrimp (I have used frozen, still good, but not the same)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. half-n-half
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley (I have used dried, again - still good, but not the same)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. chopped fresh dillweed or 3/4 tsp. dried dillweek (again - it's all about the fresh for me)

Cook pasta, drain & set aside (keep warm - duh) I usually cook this as the end - it only takes 2 minutes once your H2O is boiling.

Meanwhile, melt oleo (butter) in a large heavy skillet* over med-high heat; add shrimp and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp, set aside** Reserve garlic and butter in skillet.

Add half-n-half to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring gently. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes*** or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, parsley, salt, pepper; and if desired, chopped dillweed; stir until blended. Serve over pasta. Goes great with a big ole fresh garden salad and crunchy, hot garlic bread. Yum -o - la!

*I use cast iron, 'cause y'all know, that's how we cook here in the South *wink*
**I have a wooden spoon handy at this point for anyone (DH) who tries to come and steal the shrimp! - BAM!
***By now my kids are usually having a major melt-down 'cause the entire house smells so yummy and their bellies are growling; not to mention DH's knuckles are bruised. So, I speed this process up and thicken it with a little bit of cornstarch mixed with cold water.. add to the sauce and it will thicken up in no time flat!
Please let me know if you try it or if you have a favorite shrimp recipe... 'cause we love the shrimp, and blue Jimmy crabs, and small Cherrystone crabs, and soft-shelled crabs, and flounder, and croaker, and spot, and..............

MORE BIRDHOUSES!


Guess what my Mom brought me - did ya guess? Yes, that's right! A big box of bird houses and a bag of tiny bird houses for my painting pleasure! Now some of these are wren houses and some are blue bird houses.... and the tiny ones are to go on dowels and are just for decoration. LOL - now I really have to find all of my acryllic paints. I'm still trying to figure out how to stamp on them with a nice clean image.... These fabulous birdhouses came from a friend of my folks who just loves to make things.. Isn't he so talented! He even put on a coat of primer for me - FABULOUS! No sanding and no priming.. just decorative painting....


2 comments:

Annapurna said...

I love the colors on this card. Very nicely done. Can't wait to see what you do with these bird houses.

I am going to share the expensive place joke with DH. I wouldn't even want to think about Christmas yet, forget about cards. I don't like winter.

Julia Aston said...

what a fun card with the bradded turned up corner! can't wait to see what you do with the birdhouses! I love the little bitty ones!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin